If you are searching for a delicious, healthy and gluten free breakfast option the whole family will enjoy then look no further! A chocolatey bowl of fibre, protein, antioxidants and omega 3 that is delightfully crunchy and oh so moreish.
|1 ½ cups||Raw buckwheat groats|
|1 ½ cups||Oats (gluten free if necessary)^|
|½ cup||Dried coconut strips|
|⅓ cup||Sour cherries*|
|2 tbsp||Cacao powder|
|¼ cup||Chia seeds (optional)|
|¼ cup||Hemp seeds (optional)|
|½ tsp||Himalayan salt (optional)|
|1 tsp||Cinnamon (optional)|
|⅓ cup||Nut butter (peanut butter is a great option)|
|⅓ cup||Coconut nectar|
|¼ cup||Coconut oil|
Tips: You can find the coconut strips (sugar free), cacao nibs, sour cherries and coconut nectar at your local “Source Bulk Foods” store.
For a richer granola you can increase the wet ingredient quantities (equally) to suit your taste.
1. Preheat the oven to 160 fan-forced (170 if not fan-forced).
2. Mix together all dry ingredients in a large bowl (including optional ingredients).
3. Heat wet ingredients in a hot pan until combined then add to the dry ingredient mix. Stir mixture until the dry ingredients are evenly coated.
4. Add the mixture to a large baking tray (lined with baking paper or a silicone sheet). Spread mixture out to ensure it bakes evenly.
5. Place the tray with mixture into the preheated oven.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Be sure to mix the granola half way through the cooking process (try bring the mix around the edges of the tray into the middle as it tends to toast faster). Be careful not to let it burn and move mixture around more if needed.
Once the granola is toasted (slightly darkened) turn the oven off and leave it in there for another 5-10 minutes to ensure a truly crunchy mix.
Bring the mix out to cool and store in an airtight container.
Serve with milk~, top with blueberries if you fancy, and enjoy!
^Replace the oats with more buckwheat if you prefer.
*If you don’t like cherries replace with dried blueberries, cranberries, raisins or leave out completely.
~Plant based milks work wonderfully with this granola. Recommendations: 1) Best flavour goes to Bonsoy soy milk and 2) Healthiest option goes to Vitasoy Protein Plus soy milk with no added sugar or oil.
Check out Superfood Snacking – Healthy Breakfast Ideas, for more recipes.
By Dominique Scott; @kindprogression
Nutrition & Wellness Expert, PhD in Mental Health