This extra crunchy, nutrient packed nut and seed butter can be adapted to suit your taste and used in a variety of ways. It delivers high amounts of plant-based protein and omega-3, as well as fiber, essential unsaturated fats, vitamins and minerals! The addition of seeds substantially increases the nutritional value, and general crunchiness, of the spread.
Makes: 15 servings; 375-gram jar
|1 cup||Nut butter of your choice^|
|2 tbsp||2 tbsp|
|2 tbsp||Hemp seeds|
|1-2 tbsp||1-2 tbsp|
Tips: When choosing nut butters, ensure there is no added sugar or oil (or salt if you are on a low sodium diet). You can create an allergy friendly version using seed butter (rather than nut butter) as a base.
1. Add your favourite nut butter, or combination of nut butters, to a bowl.
2. Add your seed selection to the nut butter.
3. Stir with a fork until combined.
4. Place the extra crunchy, super-seed spread into a sealable 375-gram jar* (or container) and store in the pantry.
5. Eat straight out of the jar (I do!), use in a sandwich, spread on top of toast or apple slices (my personal favourite), or throw a tablespoon into a smoothie.
^Homemade or bought nut butters can be used individually as a base or combined. Recommendations: Peanut butter makes a great cost-effective base for the spread. The addition of almond butter will sweeten the spread, while the addition of cashew butter will create a creamier mixture.
*This recipe makes a 375-gram jar of spread, which includes approximately 15 heaped tablespoon servings per batch.
Check out Superfood Snacking – Healthy Breakfast Ideas, for more recipes.
By Dominique Scott; @kindprogression
Nutrition & Wellness Expert, PhD in Mental Health